Rahnuma-FPAP Infrastructure, Services and Activities
Rahnuma-FPAP is one of the oldest civil society organizations in Pakistan with the largest NGOs based services delivery infrastructure composing of state of the art nine Family Health Hospitals, 101 Static Clinics, 193 Associated Clinics, 10 mobile services Units, 2163 private practitioners and 2275 Community based Distributors/ Community based Services Providers for SRH&R. Advocacy, Services delivery and Technical support are broader areas of Rahnuma-FPAP work with special focus on marginalized and vulnerable sections of society. Its service delivery protocols strictly follow internationally established Quality of Care standards. Under the new paradigm at the national and international level in Beyond MDG 2015 and post ICPD Plan of Action it strives to promote comprehensive sexuality education for adolescent and young people in schools and out of schools. Furthermore Its Parliamentarians Caucus and CSOs based alliances, networks and coalitions and media networks contribute to the knowledge base of Sexual and Reproductive Health. It participates in national and international conferences, seminars, dialogues and discussions. It has a long history of working with religious leaders for the promotion of SRHR.
Rahnuma-FPAP emphasizes prevention focus approach as regards HIV& AIDS while targeting high risk populations and integrating SRH and HIV&AIDS services at the national level. It is harnessing community potential for the cause of SRHR through networking and community mobilization efforts. Another main focus area of Rahnuma-FPAP is women empowerment and gender equity, for this it along with other like-minded organizations campaigns to reduce the incidences of child marriages and adolescent pregnancies which are one of the leading causes of maternal mortality and morbidity in Pakistan. Another main focus of Rahnuma-FAPP is adolescent and youth which constitute major part of our population. It has initiated different programs to empowering the youth through information, education and communication and operates Youth Help Lines and Youth Resource Centers in addition to the provision of youth friendly services through it’s widely spread service delivery infrastructure.
Main achievement highlights of activities:
• Rahnuma-FPAP conducted National and Provincial Government Budget Analysis 2012/ 2013 to ascertain the level of fiscal allocations in NFC and PSDP for population welfare program and its related programs.
• Rahnuma-FPAP through its advocacy efforts urged political parties to incorporate SRHR and GBV in their Election 2013 Manifestos.
• Rahnuma-FPAP got incorporated MISP in Provincial Disaster Management Plans of all provincial governments including AJK, GB and FATA to better protect maternal mothers and new born in disaster and emergencies.
• Rahnuma-FPAP revitalized and reorganized the National Parliamentary Caucus at the national and provincial level after the General Elections 2013.
• Rahnuma-FPAP remained instrumental in the passage of Reproductive Health Care Bill 2013 from the national Assembly of Pakistan during 2013.
• Rahnuma-FPAP strengthened networking and partnership with CSOs, media, political parties, public institutions through MDG 5 B Alliance, National Parliamentary Caucus, Alliance Against Child Marriage, Comprehensive Sexuality Education and Rights Alliance,
• Rahnuma-FPAP was part of the official delegation of sixth Asian Pacific Population Conference where Government of Pakistan signed the APPC Declaration which envision that gender equality and sexual and reproductive health and rights are indispensable to sustainable development, and must be a key part of the post-2015 development framework
• Through Rahnuma-FPAP advocacy efforts Government of Pakistan committed in London Summit on Family Planning “universal access to reproductive health and raising the contraceptive prevalence rate to 55% by 2020”.
• Rahnuma-FPAP in partnership with RAF is urging national and provincial governments to own the commitments made by government of Pakistan at FP 2020.
• Organized De-briefing session on 6th APPC at Islamabad participated by parliamentarians, government officials and members of CSOs on FP 2020, Beyond MDG 2015 and ICPD plan of Action .
• Jointly organized 14th Population Conference at NUST Islamabad from November 20-21, 2013. Title : Pakistan’s Population : New realities and challenges for Human Development.
• Organized Lobbying Meetings on FP vision 2020 with parliamentarians, media, civil society, government officials at Lahore, Islamabad, Quetta, Karachi, Peshawar.
• Rahnuma-FPAP build Capacity of the Project Partner on SRH and HIV Integration, Proposal Writing, Gender and Budgeting and Financial Management
• Under The Project SRH and HIV & AIDS Integration, our partner organization’s (AAS) abstract was approved for ICAAP 2013, at Bangkok, Thailand for poster presentation and AAS Pakistan representative presented as a case study, advocacy for HIV integration in MCH Centers, Okara, Pakistan, at International Leadership Development Course (ILDC2013), Asian Health Institute, Japan after receiving request of the same form the Asian Health Institute.
• The Project developed Posters on SRH and HIV Integration which are very famous among partner CSOs and Government organizations like Punjab AIDS Control Program etc.
• Increased access to health services for Swara and Child Marriage survivors and their children as Continuous awareness raising and mobilization has encouraged these survivors and built a sense of self confidence to discuss their issues.
• Advocated for Adolescent and Youth Reproductive Health concerns to be included in Provincial Health Policies (Punjab& Sindh) in Pakistan
• A comprehensive gap analysis highlighting existing gaps in the National Health Policy and identifying avenues to include adolescent and young people’s reproductive concerns has been conducted and documented and based on the gap analysis well researched province specific advocacy tools (policy briefs and advocacy kits) have been developed for policy makers.
• The capacity building workshops and interactive dialogues conducted helped in developing advocates among young people (22), parliamentarians (31), government institutes, CSOs (20) and media representatives (15) to put pressure on policy makers to prioritize this issue on their agenda.
• Formulated a resolution in consultation with major stakeholders that stipulates the major “ASK” to be included in Punjab and Sindh Health Policy and related strategic documents in terms of adolescent and young people RH concerns. This resolution has already been represented in Sindh assembly by Ms.NusratAbbasi (MPA- Sindh)
• Commitment solicited from Parliamentarians to ratify the “ASK” and take affirmative action to table the resolution in provincial assemblies in upcoming sessions.
• Rahnuma- FPAP also engaged other relevant advocacy efforts to continue the struggle and to highlight issues by drafting Adolescent SRH bill and formulating youth steering committee in provincial assemblies.
• Based upon a participatory and consultative process with key pertinent stakeholders, a draft a resolution is also submitted to the parliamentarians and also solicited a commitment to table it in the provincial assembly. The main clauses of the resolution are Allocation of special budget to targeted the out of school youth for SRHR information provision and Integration of SRHR issues in the academic curriculum of medical students, nurses, lady health workers and other health professionals.
Stay informed on our latest news!